A man from Uttar Pradesh’s Unnao district has finally returned home, nearly five years after going missing, but in a mentally unstable state following his time in a Pakistani jail, officials said on Friday.
The 45-year-old Suraj Pal, a resident of Akrampur Sultan Khera village in the Sadar Kotwali area, disappeared on 27 October 2020. His family lodged a missing person report soon after, relatives told PTI.
According to Pal’s cousin Ramesh, security personnel from the border area in Jammu and Kashmir informed the family in October 2021 that Pal had crossed into Pakistan in December 2020, where he was imprisoned.
He was released in May 2024 and handed over to the Border Security Force (BSF) at the Wagah border, a relative added.
Despite his release, Pal did not make it home until Wednesday, when villagers spotted him wandering near the Lok Nagar railway crossing in a disoriented condition, they quickly alerted his family.
The relative said Pal’s mental health has been badly affected and he is unable to respond clearly to their questions.
Magarwara police outpost in-charge Arvind Pandey said no action has been taken at their level so far, as the local intelligence unit has launched an investigation into the matter.
The 45-year-old Suraj Pal, a resident of Akrampur Sultan Khera village in the Sadar Kotwali area, disappeared on 27 October 2020. His family lodged a missing person report soon after, relatives told PTI.
According to Pal’s cousin Ramesh, security personnel from the border area in Jammu and Kashmir informed the family in October 2021 that Pal had crossed into Pakistan in December 2020, where he was imprisoned.
He was released in May 2024 and handed over to the Border Security Force (BSF) at the Wagah border, a relative added.
Despite his release, Pal did not make it home until Wednesday, when villagers spotted him wandering near the Lok Nagar railway crossing in a disoriented condition, they quickly alerted his family.
The relative said Pal’s mental health has been badly affected and he is unable to respond clearly to their questions.
Magarwara police outpost in-charge Arvind Pandey said no action has been taken at their level so far, as the local intelligence unit has launched an investigation into the matter.
You may also like
Rio Ngumoha's new role at Liverpool confirmed despite potential Alexander Isak arrival
States to be soon ranked on land record quality, ease of land acquisition for road projects
Cheshunt protest LIVE: Chaos erupts as migrant hotel fury boils over
Emmerdale's Mack plot mirrors tragic Coronation Street twist involving same actor
PM Modi wins elections through vote theft: Rahul Gandhi at Voter Adhikar Yatra in Bihar